Sunday, January 21, 2007

Out

I went to Husk’s show last night. We found each other before he took the stage, both of us peering through the dark at the back of the room. I asked his name as a question, still unsure. He said, simply, “It’s you.”

At these moments, you feel the contradiction: you are intimate strangers, ideas extracted from bodies and lives and arranged on a screen. Then, suddenly, the idea becomes a person, with a voice and a smile and hands that are warmer than yours.

It takes a little while to sink in, but you’re glad when it does.

7 comments:

H said...

I've always been a sucker for neat stories of how friends meet, and I really like this one. It restores my faith slightly after meeting someone from my blog who had a ferrit with projectile vomit issues.
How was the show?

Vila H. said...

(Laughs.) Well, there weren't any vomiting ferrets, which was definitely a plus! Actually, all of the performances I saw were quite good, especially the Bulgarian singers. (Though I'll admit, I have a bit of a soft spot for Balkan sounds.) Husk played last, a haunting, delicate set that should have been longer. I have a comparison in mind but nothing offends musicians more, so I think I'll keep it to myself for the moment.

Should you ever feel the urge to try meeting bloggers again, I highly recommend the Yulblog gatherings. They're a lovely bunch of folks, the drinks are cheap enough, and the space is 100% ferret-free. :-)

husk said...

hey! on the with the comparisons! i can take it ;)

H said...

I'm glad you had such a great time. I don't go to nearly enough live music; it's entirely possible this stems from spending countless nights spent in obscure bars when my brother was in a band, but it really sounds like it was fabulous. (Husk -I have no doubt).

As for Yulblog, if a lack of nausea-ed rodents can be guaranteed, I just may try it!

Vila H. said...

H: Cool!

Vila H. said...

Husk: Um, can I get back to you when I'm sober?

husk said...

Hey thanks for the comparison (my emails f-ed up so I'm replying here), just "faintly" is fine ;)