Monday, January 08, 2007

Little mysteries

Me: The Sequel poses the question: do women scan? Well, sure. As I wrote here some time ago, we just do it a little differently.

I’ll let you in on a secret, though: sometimes, we look too. The shirt that rides up, exposing the crest of a hip; the calf that tightens as it bears down on a bike pedal; the faded jeans that hang just so. But I think the way we look is more idiosyncratic; we catch glimpses of sex in a thousand places because that’s what we’re used to, because no one thought to direct our gaze. Girls have wandering eyes – consider yourselves warned.

If I didn’t have to work in the morning, I’d tell you more.

13 comments:

H said...

This comes at a good time. I'm in the midst of reading a book called 'the Daybook of Comfort and Joy,' which was going just swimmingly, until I happened upon the chapter that counsels women to infuse their linen closets with scents of lavender, and to truly make artistic masterpieces out of the meals they prepare for their families. Your post calls attention to the fact that women really aren't all that different from men, and men would be wise to awaken to this fact.
Thanks.

husk said...

apparently it's always been more appealing to women when we pretend like we aren't aware ;)

Vila H. said...

H: You're welcome.

Husk: I wonder which lack of awareness you're referring to? Differing or looking?

H said...

Husk: Not this woman :)

husk said...

Please don't take offense, this was a generalized response to a generalized comment :) And as for lack of awareness, I would honestly prefer to be constantly enlightened instead!

Vila H. said...

Hmm, does that make you an exhibitionist? ;-)

husk said...

I was trying to be evasive but I tried to add in a little chivalry at the same time -- and that somehow equals exhibitionism, go figure! (see? enlightened once again) :D

Vila H. said...

I assure you, it was an honest enough mistake. After all, you did just expose yourself... (*grin*)

H said...

Husk -I'm just teasing. I don't get offended that easily!

husk said...

vila: Yes, but I was exposing something else by exposing myself (does that make any sense?)

h: I know, I was just being careful :)

Vila H. said...

Husk: Pray, what else is there?

;-)

husk said...

wow yeah, that came out all wrong -- I hope no one will ever quote me on that!

Vila H. said...

And I thought you were just being a tease. ;-) In any case, my readers are generally a kindly bunch, so I don't think they'll use it against you.