Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The other side

Valentine’s Day is not celebrated by graduate students, since “love” and all related “feelings” are expressly forbidden by university administrators. However, in lieu of valentines, PhD supervisors are permitted to disseminate good news to their students, generally in the form of email or other electronic communication.

I received just such an email tonight, which informed me that my synthesis paper has been accepted by the examining committee and that it will now proceed to the defense stage. In non-academic (i.e., human) terms, this is equivalent to receiving a dozen long-stemmed roses, a box of chocolates, and the promise of a second date, all rolled into one.

I will start preparing for the defense tomorrow. Tonight, however, I am drinking a glass of scotch and trying to remember how to exhale.

1 comment:

Frank said...

Congrats and good luck!