Monday, September 05, 2005

Things to do when you’re stressed

I cleaned out my bedroom closet today. Before starting, I commanded myself to show no mercy: if it doesn’t fit, it goes; if it has holes in it, it goes; if it hasn’t been worn at least once during the last six months, it goes.

Among the items that went:

* A sweater I wore when I was going out with my first boyfriend.

* A tie-dyed Indian cotton shirt from my brief but still unfortunate hippie phase.

* Two ankle-length black skirts from my somewhat lengthier goth phase.

* A pair of silk boxer shorts the Ex gave me for christmas.

* Three bras from the 38B era.

* Eight oversized black t-shirts.

* Four oversized suit jackets.

* Three pairs of jeans with holes in the knees, crotch, and/or ass.

* The miniskirt I wore when I went dancing at the Twilight Zone.

* Two pairs of ratty fishnets—one black, one purple.

* A souvenir t-shirt from New York City.

* A pair of Op-Art tights purchased at an open-air market in Belgrade.

* A thoroughly ridiculous coat I bought at Le Chateau when I was sixteen and have carted around with me ever since.

There are, I confess, several items I talked myself into keeping:

* A pair of long silk gloves. (Hey, you never know...)

* A lace garter belt. (See above.)

* A “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” t-shirt that is as thin as rice paper and still has black nail polish on it.

* A souvenir t-shirt from the 1989 Anarchist Unconvention in San Francisco.

* The leather coat my dad wore in the 1960s.

Tomorrow, I will carry four garbage bags of clothes down to the curb for pick-up and I won’t look back. I won’t, will I?

2 comments:

Berlinbound said...

Great list ... going through your closet is like reading a diary ... except you can touch and feel (and toss out) as you go along.

Anonymous said...

hm...I'm not sure...you may need some of that stuff some day...

--a packrat