Sunday, August 14, 2005

News

My mother has been hospitalized twice since I last wrote about her. I am waiting for a call back from the ER doctor who treated her at St. Joseph's, which may or may not come. I am also smoking myself sick.

Her voice was impossibly weak when I spoke with her last night. She didn’t go for the tests she was supposed to have on the ninth, although she told me that she did. My brother is agitated and clearly afraid. My father is with his girlfriend in Sarnia.

Everything is on hold as I wait.

I have collected all the shards of conversation from the last two weeks and assembled a diagnosis: renal failure. My mother’s kidneys are giving out. This is a common complication of long-term diabetes, and, if it is left untreated, a fatal one.

My mother is refusing treatment. There is nothing I can do. That’s what everybody says.

I still feel like piano wire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vila,

My hopes are with you.. may she recover quickly.

DMA

g_pi said...

V,

Very hard to know what to say that might be of comfort.

Just know, though, that I am thinking of you.

Caron said...

Kind thoughts from L.A. as well. I cannot imagine how helpless you must feel.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry--I just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you too
--Monica

Vila H. said...

Thanks so much for these kind words. An update follows...