Sunday, May 22, 2005

Minutiae

I’ve been feeling shy lately. When I was a kid, I was deathly afraid of people I didn’t know. I still am sometimes, but I’ve learned how to pretend that I’m not. I occasionally wonder what I’d be like if I hadn't taken theatre classes in high school. Shyer, probably.

I went to Sherwin Tija’s book launch on Thursday night. Sherwin was very good, as was Corey Frost, who read a story about plums. A bunch of writers went to the Café afterwards, and one of them asked me if I was a writer too. I said that I didn't know. Then I went home.

Yesterday, I had Alice and Rashid and James over for dinner. I made a Mexican salad dressing with cilantro and cumin in it that everyone seemed to like. I’ve decided to make a lot of different salad dressings this summer. That way I’ll eat more greens.

After dinner, Alice told us that she started a blog, but then lost it. She tried searching for what she thinks it was called, but nothing came up. I wonder how often this happens? We told her that she should put up posters, so people can call if they find it.

Alice also observed, keenly, that my fridge has nothing in it except beer and condiments. I pointed out that it also has a tub of cream cheese, which technically isn’t a condiment. Then we drank two of the beers.

I washed all the dishes today and realized that I need a bigger dishrack. Mine is the bachelorette model – it holds exactly two mugs, two glasses, three plates, a pot, and a coffee carafe. This means I can wash my dishes every other day, on average, without running out of room. It also means that I’m screwed when I have dinner parties.

It’s going to rain tomorrow so there won’t be any badminton. Sorry, Bob. Maybe next weekend?

No comments: