Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Visit: Day Five

Today, I made a pot of Serbian onion-noodle soup for my father. My mother used to make it when I was a kid, explaining that it was the soup you made when you had no money. For a time in the 1970s, my family ate it a lot.

The broth has virtually no nutritional value, consisting exclusively of onions, paprika, and obscene amounts of salt, which is its only discernible flavouring. Nevertheless, the soup is actually quite tasty and the closest thing to a home-cooked Serbian meal I know how to make. Not having eaten it since he separated from my mother two years ago, my father was very appreciative.

The recipe is as follows:

Fry one small, finely chopped onion
Add one tablespoon of paprika
Add water and salt and bring to a boil
Strain
Add egg noodles, cook until tender
Add two dollops of sour cream
Enjoy!

No comments: