Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Company

James ran away from home today and is temporarily holed up at my place, which on most days has something of the feel of a UN sanctuary. We ate an unremarkable dinner together then fired up our respective computers, at which we are now both quietly working.

Observation: This is the first time I’ve written a blog entry in someone else’s presence.

When I moved out on my own after the break-up, I put a great deal of time and effort into making my apartment a place I liked being in. It’s brightly painted and blessedly quiet and strikes, I think, just the right note of airy coziness. The cats prowl its rooms at a leisurely pace, carefully deliberating which cushioned surface they might like to sleep on next. The light is best at mid-morning and sunset; at night you can just barely feel the trains going by.

I realize that I’ve been cautious about having people over. Ada joins me for dinner occasionally, not often. Arit comes by more frequently, for iced tea or laundry or just to catch up on the week. And James has, over time, become a regular visitor, usually after-hours but sometimes not, though he stays up late with me either way. Otherwise, I’ve guarded this space without really knowing why.

I think I shall have a Christmas party this year.

No comments: